<$BlogRSDUrl$>

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Labor Media, or the Lack Thereof :: Let's Try Democracy :: David Swanson Dot Org

"The staffs of labor newspapers and magazines are overworked too. We don't invest enough in our own media, and that has to become our primary focus. What we do produce, let's be frank, is often awful. I'm a Newspaper Guild member, and I read the Guild's paper, but I don't read the CWA's and I wouldn't read most other union papers. If I want big photos and fonts and short stories that all come from one point of view, I'll get the USA Today. We need numerous voices and in-depth pieces that don't insult union members' intelligence. The way to get this is to train members to do it. We need labor media to get labor democracy, but we need labor democracy to get good labor media. And we need both if we're going to have a labor movement, quite regardless of what dues are paid to the AFL-CIO or who's forced to merge with whom."
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



archives: